AREAS OF CONCENTRATION:
- Insurance Coverage
- Commercial Litigation
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE:
New Jersey and U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
William E. McGrath, Jr. has been a partner in the firm for some fifteen years. Bill’s professional experience includes the litigation, mediation and arbitration of complex insurance and reinsurance claims and commercial disputes. His trial experience includes commercial claims, general liability, insurance coverage, insurance fraud, land use, and contract claims. Bill also serves as a Court Appointed Arbitrator for Contract and Commercial Litigation in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Vicinage 13 (Somerset, Hunterdon, and Warren Counties). His more recent professional experience includes acting as counsel:
- to a European insurer on U.S. gadolinium products liability claims;
- in a London arbitration involving coverage for U.S. pharmaceutical claims;
- on behalf of an excess insurer in a two-month trial involving coverage for asbestos and silica liabilities, as well as in an allocation phase before a special allocation master;
- obtaining an injunction through arbitration in a trademark infringement claim;
- for an umbrella insurer in a coverage action in Connecticut involving OxyContin®;
- for a cedant in a reinsurance litigation and appeal involving a New York workers' compensation claim; and
- in a reinsurance arbitration involving coverage for punitive damages.
Bill served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable Joseph Michael Hannon in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
J.D., Catholic University of America
B.A., Gettysburg College
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Member, Insurance and Environmental Law Sections)
- American Bar Association (Member, Litigation and Tort/Insurance Practice Sections)
- Editor, Environmental Coverage Case LawReview, 2010 (Published by Munich Reinsurance America, Inc.
- “Allocating Coverage Among Covered and Non-covered Claims: An Update on the Duty to Defend,” The Brief Winter 2009, Vol. 28, No. 2, American Bar Association
- Speaker, American Bar Association, TIPS Annual Meeting, Tuscon, AZ, February 2007
- Speaker, Excess and Surplus lines Claims Association, New York, NY, April 2006