AREAS OF CONCENTRATION:
- Insurance Coverage
- Commercial, Business Tort, and Product Liability Litigation
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE:
New Jersey and U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
New York and U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
Tom Hastings has been a partner in Smith, Stratton since 1991. Prior to joining the firm in 1986, he was associated with Hughes Hubbard & Reed in New York.
Tom represents clients in both trials and appeals. He has particular expertise in the defense of property and casualty insurers in complex insurance coverage and extra-contractual liability actions, and his practice also includes commercial and business tort litigation, product liability matters, and appeals of substantial commercial and personal injury verdicts. His trial experience includes serving as first chair in a several month third-party environmental insurance coverage action. His appellate experience includes:
- winning a unanimous reversal from the New Jersey Supreme Court in light of the plaintiff's refusal to testify at trial in Gonzalez v. Safe and Sound Security Corp., 185 N.J. 100 (2005);
- the affirmance by the New Jersey Appellate Division of a 99% remittitur of a damages award in Webb v. Troy Corp;
- the reversal of a jury verdict against a hospital for breach of its contracts with a group of physicians in Vosough v. Kierce, 437 N.J. Super. 218 (App. Div. 2014); and
- prevailing in the Appellate Division in Phillips v. Marrioit Ownership Resorts, Inc. (affirming an order striking an award of punitive damages), Smith v. Toys "R" Us, Inc. (affirming summary judgement for an insurer in an additional insured coverag dispute), and Hudeen v. Smith (affirming summary judgement for an insurer in a permissive user coverage dispute.
J.D., Harvard University Law School, 1982
A.B., magna cum laude, Princeton University, 1979